Reaching out to those that are interested in the Transition Town movement in Santa Barbara.
What Would a Sustainable Santa Barbara Look Like?
We live at a critical moment, unprecedented in human history.
The mission of Transition Town Santa Barbara is to empower our community to squarely face the challenges of economic instability, climate change and resource depletion and to unleash the collective genius of our own people to create ways of transitioning to a thriving and resilient local community.
To do this, we’ll look at every sector of our society and explore how to:
– greatly strengthen our local economy (in response to global economic instability)
– drastically reduce carbon emissions (in response to climate change)
– rebuild local resilience and relocalize (in response to peak oil and other resource depletion challenges)
– reskill ourselves and our neighbors so we can adapt constructively and joyfully to changing conditions
– help all members of our diverse community work together towards these goals and appreciate each person’s unique contributions
– take care of each other as neighbors in challenging times
The 9 sectors of local society that we will focus our efforts on include:
1. LAND AND NATURE STEWARDSHIP
Environment. Human, animal and plant habitat.
2. HUMAN SURVIVAL BASICS: FOOD, SHELTER, CLOTHING
Shelter and Built Environment
3. FINANCE AND ECONOMICS
Commerce and trade
4. TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY
Waste (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)
5. COMMUNITY GOVERNANCE
Security – police, fire, disaster preparedness and remediation
6. SOCIAL SUPPORT SYSTEMS: FAMILY, HEALTH AND DEPENDENT CARE
Dependent care – children, the elderly, the disabled, companion animals
7. EDUCATION AND CULTURE
Education at all levels, including local history, practical survival skills
Arts and entertainment. Enjoyment and fun.
Transforming our culture from a selfish, greedy and life-destroying society into an inclusive, life-affirming community focused on the needs of our neighbors and future generations.
Communications and media
9. SPIRIT AND SOUL
Engaging heart, mind, soul and spirit as we meet these challenges. Creation care.
Spreading joy throughout our community